NOTRE DAME, IND. -- The Adrian College softball team suffered a set back on the roach against St. Mary's in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) doubleheader on Sunday afternoon. The Belles swept the Bulldogs with 3-2 and 7-2 victories.
Final Scores: St. Mary's 3, Adrian 2 | St. Mary's 7, Adrian 2
Location: Notre Dame, Indiana (Purcell Athletic Fields)
Records: St. Mary's (22-2, 4-0 MIAA), Adrian (8-14, 0-4 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: St. Mary's def. Adrian, 3-2
The Belles took a 2-0 lead following the 1st-inning. The score would remain the same until the Bulldogs knotted things up in the 5th-inning.
St. Mary's regained the lead in the 6th-inning to earn what became the winning run, 3-2.
Game Two: St. Mary's def. Adrian, 7-2
St. Mary's built a 5-0 lead with runs in the first, second, and fifth innings. The Bulldogs two runs came in the bottom half of the 5th-inning to cut the Belles lead to three runs.
The Belles added two runs in the 7th-inning before the conclusion of the doubleheader.
• Lindsey Branscum (Clinton, Mich.), Young, and Van't Land (2 RBIs) each had a hit for the Bulldogs.
• Branscum was the only Adrian player to be walked in the first game.
• Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.), Collins, Van't Land, and Budde each tallied a hit for the Bulldogs.
• Budde recorded two RBIs on her one hit in three at-bats to lead the Adrian offense.
• Rebecca Neal (L, 4-6) (Waterford Twp., Mich.) pitched all six innings for the Bulldogs. She allowed six hits and three runs (3 ER) while striking out four batters.
• Paige Cubberly (L, 1-4) got the start in the circle for the Bulldogs. The Toledo, Ohio native pitched 4.1 innings, allowing five hits and five runs while striking out two Belles.
• Loren Vail (Belleville, Mich.) pitched the final 2.2 innings in relief. She allowed five hits and two runs.
• Jamie Young, Sydney Swartz, and Alyssa Gutierrez each tallied an RBI with their one hit.
• Three other Belles contributed to the six-team hits.
• Makenzie Duncan, Cassie Young, and Emma Conroy each had two hits in game two. Cassie Young led the Belles with two RBIs.
• Jamie Young, Duncan, Conroy, Kelsey Richards, and Alison Alberts each had an RBI.
• Morgan Raymer (W, 11-1) pitched seven innings while allowing three hits and two runs (1 ER). She also struck out five Bulldogs.
• Jessica Alberts (W, 10-1) started the final game of the day. She allowed two hits and two runs while striking out five.
• Morgan Raymer got her second save of the season by pitching the final two innings of the game, striking out one.
The Bulldogs host Kalamazoo on Wednesday, April 11 in an MIAA doubleheader. Game one is set to begin at 3:30 p.m., ET, with game two following.