ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College softball team earned its first two wins in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play with a sweep of Kalamazoo at the AC Softball Field on Wednesday afternoon. The Bulldogs won both games by eight runs--the first of which ended after 5-innings of play--with scores of 10-2 and 11-3.
Final Scores: Adrian sweeps Kalamazoo, 10-2 (5 innings) & 11-3
Location: Adrian, Michigan (AC Softball Field)
Records: Adrian (10-14, 2-4 MIAA), Kalamazoo (8-14, 0-6 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: Adrian def. Kalamazoo, 10-2 (5 innings)
Adrian used a seven-run 5th-inning to gain a 10-2 win over Kalamazoo in the opening game of the doubleheader.
The Hornets took a quick 1-0 in the 1st-inning before the Bulldogs tied the game in the third with an RBI-single to left center from Natalia Younan (Windsor, Ontario) that scored Destiny Rogers (Sand Creek, Mich.).
Kalamazoo took its final lead at the top of the 4th-inning, but Adrian would answer with two runs in the bottom half to take the lead from then on in the game. The first run was scored on an RBI single by Taylor Van't Land (Clarksville, Mich.) that scored Alaina Macksoud (Clinton, Mich.), giving the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead. Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) increased the lead to 3-1 when she was walked with the bases loaded to score Jaime Lightner (Eaton, Rapids, Mich.).
The final runs of the game came in the 5th-inning. Lindsey Branscum (Clinton, Mich.) scored on a wild pitch for the innings opening run. Kyleen Wilson (Windsor, Ontario) scored Macksoud with a single to left field to give Adrian a 5-1 lead.
The Hornets gave the Bulldogs two runs on an error before Lightner tagged up to score on a sacrifice fly by Van't Land for the fifth run of the inning. Younan then singled to left field to score Destiny Rogers. Branscum finish the scoring with an RBI-single to left field to score Bell.
Game Two: Adrian def. Kalamazoo, 11-3
Adrian scored five runs in both the second and 7th-innings in game two to complete the sweep.
Wilson singled to score Jalyn DeForest (Concord, Mich.) in the 2nd-inning to spark the Bulldog offense. Lightner followed with an RBI-single to right field that scored Courtney Young (Lansing, Mich.). Van't Land then singled down the right-field line to score Wilson. Lightner scored next on a double steal that advanced Van't Land to second base. Bell scored Van't Land on a ground out to third base to finish the scoring in the second.
Kalamazoo scored two runs in the 3rd-inning to cut the deficit to three (5-2). Adrian increased the lead to 6-2 in the 5th-inning when Branscum hit a solo home run to left center.
Young drilled a three-run home run to left field to spark a five-run 7th-inning and push the Bulldog lead to 9-2. Wilson scored on a double to right center by Lightner. Van't Land scored to put Adrian up 11-2.
Kalamazoo tallied one run in the bottom half of the 7th-inning before the Bulldogs tallied the three outs needed to end the game.
• Taylor Van't Land (1-for-1) registered two RBIs.
• Rebecca Neal (Waterford Twp., Mich.) (W, 5-6) pitched all five innings while allowing only two hits and two runs (0 ER). She struck out two Hornets as well as walked two.
• Paige Cubberly (Toledo, Ohio) (W, 2-4) pitched her second complete game of the season. She allowed eight hits, three runs (1 ER), and struck out two Kalamazoo hitters.
• Anna Majewski and Briana Huisken each tallied a hit and an RBI for the Hornets.
• Izzy Kirck and Anna Majewski led Kalamazoo with two hits. Kirck also tallied the only two RBIs in the game for the Hornets.
• Sammi Luzadre (L, 4-9) received the loss in game one. She pitched four innings and allowed five hits and three runs while striking out two batters.
• Keelin McManus (L, 4-5) pitched 6.0 innings and allowed 13 hits, nine runs, two home runs, and one K.
• Maija Weaver pitched an inning in relief and allowed a hit, two runs (1 ER), and walked two Bulldogs.
Adrian will face Cleary University tomorrow in a non-conference doubleheader starting at 3:30 p.m., ET.