ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College softball team was defeated in both games against Cleary on Thursday (April 12) night at the AC Softball Field. The Cougars won the first game 10-5 after a seven-run, 7th-inning. Cleary shutout Adrian in the second game, pulling out a 6-0 victory.
Final Score: Cleary sweeps Adrian, 10-5 | 6-0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (AC Softball Field)
Records: Cleary (15-11), Adrian (10-16)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: Cleary def. Adrian, 10-5
Cleary held a 3-1 lead at the conclusion of the opening inning of play in game one. Paige VanAtta (East Lansing, Mich.) scored Lindsey Branscum (Clinton, Mich.) on a single to left field to give the Bulldogs their first run of the day.
The Cougar bats turned on in the 7th-inning as Cleary scored seven runs--four of which came from a grand slam--to take a 10-2 lead.
Branscum scored Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) off a single to left field and Cubberly hit a double to left center that scored both Branscum and Natalia Younan (Windsor, Ontario) but the rally was cut short by the Cougars.
Game Two: Cleary def. Adrian, 6-0
Cleary scored one run in the first, three in the second, and one each in the third and 4th-inning while holding Adrian scoreless to pull off the 6-0 win.
• Paige Cubberly (3-for-4) had the hot bat in the first game for Adrian. She led the team with three hits and two RBIs while scoring a run as well.
• Maggie Foss (Tecumseh, Mich.) (1-for-2), Taylor Van't Land (Clarksville, Mich.) (1-for-3), Madison Budde (Novi, Mich.) (1-for-3), and Phoebe Cole (Southgate, Mich.) (1-for-2) each tallied a hit for the Bulldogs.
• Rebeca Neal (Waterford Twp., Mich.) (L, 5-7) pitched 6.1 innings while allowing 10 hits, eight runs, and striking out one batter.
• Loren Vail (Belleville, Mich.) pitched 0.2 innings in relief and allowed two hits, two runs, and a home run.
• Paige Cubberly (L, 2-5) pitched 6.0 innings while allowing 11 hits, six runs, and striking out four Cougars.
• Emily Baldus (Saline, Mich.) pitched an inning in relief, keeping the Cougars scoreless in the 7th-inning.
• Keaitlin Dormire finished with three hits and two RBIs to lead the Cougars.
• Jordan Schneider and Kelly Schram each tallied two hits.
• Liz Sockert had a game-high five RBIs.
• Three Cleary players tallied a game-high two hits in the final game of the day.
• Dormire and Allie Newcomb each led the team with two RBIs.
• Riley Thompson pitched all seven innings to gain the win. She allowed 11 hits, five runs, and struck out eight Bulldogs.
• Vic Edwards earned the win for the Cougars. She gave up four hits while striking out four Adrian hitters.
The Bulldogs travel to Albion tomorrow (April 13) to face the Britons in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) action. The doubleheader is set to begin at 3:30 p.m., ET.