ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College softball team swept #16 Trine in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) home doubleheader. The Bulldogs used two huge innings to defeat the Thunder 9-1 in five innings for game one. Adrian tallied three runs in game two and held on for a 3-1 win to complete the sweep. It's the first time the Bulldogs have defeated a nationally ranked opponent since 2014 and it's the first time the team has beaten Trine since 2012.
Final Scores: GM 1: Adrian 9, Trine 1 (5 innings) | GM 2: Adrian 3, Trine 1
Location: Adrian, Michigan (AC Softball Field)
Records: Adrian (16-18, 8-6 MIAA), Trine (24-10, 7-7 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: Adrian def. Trine, 9-1 (5 innings)
Trine took a quick 1-0 lead in the top half of the opening inning.
With runners on second and third, Courtney Young (Lansing, Mich.) smacked a three-run home run to center field to give the Bulldogs a 3-1 lead.
Taylor Van't Land (Clarksville, Mich.) added to the lead with a home run to left field to bring the score to 4-1.
With the bases loaded in the 2nd-inning, Jaime Lightner (Eaton Rapids, Mich.) scored off a wild pitch to put the Bulldogs advantage to 5-1. Young hit an two RBI-double to score Jamie Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) and Destiny Rogers (Sand Creek, Mich.). Young and Natalia Younan (Windsor, Ontario) scored off an error to gain an eight-run lead (9-1).
Adrian was able to keep the Thunder scoreless through the next three innings to earn a run-rule victory after the 5th-inning.
Game Two: Adrian def. Trine, 3-1
Bryanna Collins (Midland, Mich.) hit an RBI-single to left field that scored Younan to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead.
Trine tied the game in the bottom of the 4th-inning before the Bulldogs recaptured the lead--and kept it--in the 5th-inning.
The two runs in the 5th-inning came off a home run by Lindsey Branscum (Clinton, Mich.) that also scored Younan.
• Courtney Young (2-for-3) led the Bulldogs with five RBIs on two hits and also scored two runs.
• Lindsey Branscum (2-for-3) had the hot bat in the second game with two hits and two RBIs in the two-run win.
• Bryanna Collins (1-for-3) registered an RBI with a hit.
• Rebecca Neal (Waterford Twp., Mich.) (W, 10-7) allowed four hits and one run while striking out one Trine batter.
• Neal (W, 11-7) started the second game for the Bulldogs also. She earned her 13th complete game with her 7.0 innings pitched. She allowed four hits and one run while sitting down one Thunder bat on strikes.
• Four separate Trine hitters tallied a hit in the game.
• Kaylee Fox (1-for-3) tallied the only RBI of game one for Trine.
• Fox (1-for-2) tallied the lone RBI for the Thunder in game two.
• Danielle Ray (L, 5-2) got the start for Trine in game one. She lasted only one inning while allowing two hits, eight runs (3 ER), and two home runs. She struck out two batters.
• Kate Saupe pitched 3.0 innings. She allowed two hits and one run while she struck out two Bulldogs.
• Hannah Kampmann (L, 10-5) pitched a complete game, allowing four hits, three runs (2 ER), and struck out eight Adrian hitters.
Adrian hosts Hope on Saturday, April 28, in the final conference doubleheader of the season. Game one is set to begin at 1:00 p.m., ET.