CLERMONT, Fla. – The Adrian College softball team lost its first game of Tuesday, March 5, falling to Wittenberg University 4-2. The Bulldogs only managed to get three hits off the Tigers' pitching.
Final Scoreline: Wittenberg 4-10-2 | Adrian 2-3-1
Location: Clermont, Fla. (Legends Way Ballfields, Field One)
Records: AC 2-3, WU 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
Wittenberg led the game off with a double and scored two outs later on a single to right field. Adrian was able to answer in the bottom of the first, when a double from senior first baseman Paige Cubberly scored classmate Krista Lynch from first with two outs. Cubberly was thrown out trying to advance to third on the play to end the inning.
Each team picked up only a single in the second, but scored in the third. The Tigers singled to start the inning and then had runners on second and third after an error. A bunt single scored the runner from third and put runners on the corners, but the Bulldogs were able to get out of the jam.
Junior second baseman Destiny Rogers walked to start Adrian's half of the third inning and advanced to second on a fielder's choice from sophomore right fielder Jamie Bell's at bat. Junior catcher Hope Kapelanski flied out to right to advance Rogers to third, who then stole home to tie the game up again. Bell stole second and advanced to third on a groundout from Lynch, but couldn't get around to score.
That would be the last Adrian run of the game, and Wittenberg tacked on a single run in the fourth and fifth innings to take the game 4-2. The Tigers' pitching kept Adrian's bats at bay, holding the Bulldogs to three total hits and none after the second inning.
• Cubberly had the only RBI in the game and Lynch and Rogers scored the runs.
• Lynch, Cubberly, and junior Kyleen Wilson were the three players to pick up hits.
• Freshman Natalie Mathers started the game and went three innings, giving up two runs on five hits, a walk, and two strikeouts. Cubberly pitched two innings in relief and took the loss, also giving up two runs on five hits, with two strikeouts. Sophomore Emily Baldus pitched two perfect innings to close out the game.
• Elise Freeland had three hits and scored two runs.
• Abby Curnutte had two hits with one RBI and drew a walk.
• Mary Britton pitched a complete game with two earned runs on three hits, two walks, and a strikeout.
The Bulldogs battle Penn State-New Kensington today at 4:30 p.m. before getting an off-day on Wednesday.
#GoBulldogs | #ACSB | #BeGreat | #LilDubs