CLERMONT, Fla. – The Adrian College softball team ended its spring break trip on a three-game winning streak after defeating Emmanuel College (Mass.) 5-3 on Friday, March 8 in the team's final game of the trip.
Final Scoreline: Adrian 5-9-1 | Emmanuel 3-8-3
Location: Clermont, Fla. (Hancock Recreational Complex, Field Two)
Records: AC 6-4, EC 3-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
Emmanuel got on the board with a pair of leadoff home runs in the second and third innings to open a 2-0 lead after three. The Saints tacked on another run in the top of the fifth to hold a 3-0 lead over the Bulldogs. That would be the last time an Emmanuel runner crossed home, as AC's comeback started in the bottom of the fifth.
Three singles in a row loaded the bases for senior sophomore Krista Lynch with one out. Lynch was hit by a pitch, scoring freshman second baseman Kayla Bozyk. Next up was senior first baseman Paige Cubberly, who hit a single to drive home sophomore right fielder Jamie Bell, pulling the Black and Gold within one.
The sixth inning was the big inning for the Bulldogs, as they scored three runs to take the lead. Junior center fielder Madison Budde walked to start the inning and then scored on errors following a sacrifice bunt by sophomore left fielder Alaina Macksoud. Macksoud came around to score on a sac fly from junior catcher Hope Kapelanski to take the lead. In between the runs, Bell reached base, and then advanced to second on a single from Lynch. Bell scored her second run of the game on the next batter when Cubberly picked up her second RBI single of the day.
Adrian was able to hold the lead in the top of the seventh to get the win, with sophomore pitcher Emily Baldus getting the job done for the win in the circle. The win gives the Bulldogs a three-game winning streak and some momentum heading into play back in Michigan at the end of the month.
• Kapelanski and Cubberly each had two hits, with Cubberly contributing two RBIs and Kapelanski one.
• Bell scored two runs on one hit.
• Freshman Natalie Mathers started the game and went two innings, giving up two one-run home runs, four total hits, and a walk, while striking out two. Baldus came in and pitched the final five innings, surrendering one run on four hits and getting three batters on strikes.
• Olivia Burgos had three hits and scored two runs, including one home run.
• Ashley Skey hit the other homer for the Saints.
• Megan Kieselback took the loss on four and a third innings of work, giving up two runs on six hits and two walks. Mikaela Montemagni pitched the other inning and two thirds for Emmanuel and gave up three unearned runs on three hits.
Adrian has a couple weeks off before two home doubleheaders to return to action. The Bulldogs hosts Ohio Wesleyan on Sunday, March, 24 with the first game starting at 1 p.m. and then welcome Defiance to town on Monday, March, 25, with first pitch scheduled for 4 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #ACSB | #BeGreat | #LilDubs