OLIVET, Mich. – The Adrian College softball team lost game two of its doubleheader with Olivet College by a score of 12-8. After game one went 10 innings on Friday, March 29, game two only went six innings before it was suspended due to darkness. Action was resumed on Monday, April 1 at 4:30 and only one baserunner reached for either team as the seventh inning went by uneventfully to give Olivet the win.
Final Scoreline: Olivet 12-14-1 | Adrian 8-9-4
Location: Olivet, Mich. (Olivet College Softball Field)
Records: AC 13-7 (1-1 MIAA), OC 12-8 (1-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Olivet opened the scoring in the first, putting up three runs in the opening inning. A leadoff single advanced to third and then scored on a sac fly before a two-run home run gave the Comets the 3-0 lead.
It took until the third inning for the Bulldogs to answer, and Adrian did, putting up five runs to take the lead. Sophomore Alaina Macksoud walked to start the third and advanced to third on a single from classmate Jamie Bell. Senior catcher Natalia Younan was up next and singled to right to score Macksoud, with Bell making it to third. Krista Lynch was the next batter up and the senior shortstop doubled to left to bring home Bell and send Younan over to third. The train continued with another senior, as Paige Cubberly ripped a double to the gap in left center to bring home both Younan and Lynch. Cubberly then stole third and made it home on an error by the shortstop, but that would be the final run AC picked up in the inning.
It took until the sixth inning for more runs to be scored, but Olivet cracked the game wide open with a nine-run inning. Two Bulldog errors in the top of the sixth proved costly and the Comets hit their second home run of the game in the inning.
Adrian tried to answer in the bottom half of the inning, and a two-out double by Younan scored Jalyn DeForest, after she tripled down the right field line. Younan came around to touch home when Lynch sent one over the fence for her second home run of the year, making it 12-8 in favor of OC. Lynch's homer made it three straight games the Black and Gold have sent a ball home with a fan.
Play was suspended on Friday after the eventful sixth inning and Monday's seventh inning was the opposite. Olivet went 1-2-3 and the Bulldogs only had one runner get on base before picking up their third out to end the game with a score of 12-8.
• Lynch went yard and totaled 3 RBIs in the contest. Adrian's other RBIs were by Younan and Cubberly, each with two.
• Lynch had three hits to lead the team while Bell and Younan each added two. DeForest tripled in the sixth and Younan, Lynch, and Cubberly each had a double.
• Cubberly started the game and gave up three runs on five hits in two innings with a no decision. Sophomore Emily Baldus came in to relieve Cubberly and took the loss, giving up seven runs (six earned) on six hits while striking out three in 3.1 innings of work. Sophomore Loren Vail came on to replace Baldus and pitched the last two outs on Friday and then the inning on Monday, giving up two runs (none earned) on three hits with one strikeout in 1.2 innings.
• Kinslea Blouin and Kaylee Clothier both hit home runs for Olivet.
• Blouin and Karina Marin each had three RBIs while Clothier added another two.
• Taylor Shellenberger started in the circle and went three innings, giving up five runs (four earned) on four hits, walking three and striking out one. Danielle Erickson came in to get the win, giving up three runs on five hits with a walk in three innings of work and Gracie Boyle pitched the one inning on Monday to finish the game out.
Adrian is back in action tomorrow, Tuesday, April 2 when the Bulldogs travel to Angola, Indiana for a doubleheader with Trine. First pitch in game one with the Thunder is scheduled for 3 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #ACSB | #BeGreat | #LilDubs