ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball improved its Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association record to 4-1 after defeating Alma in three straight sets on Friday night for homecoming week. The win was the first time the Bulldogs defeated Alma in Adrian since October of 2007, a game that Adrian also swept the Scots.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Alma 0
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (8-5, 4-1), Alma (6-5, 2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Adrian fell behind in the first set quickly 3-0 to Alma. The Bulldogs would keep the score close during the first set, but the Scots refused to give up the lead heading into the later part of the set.
• Alma would build the lead to five points, 18-13, before Adrian would storm back, scoring three straight points forcing an Alma timeout. Coming out of the timeout, the Bulldogs would reel off four more straight points to earn their first lead of the game, 20-19.
• Alma would tie the first set at 20 before Adrian would close out the set, 25-22.
• The Bulldogs would never trail in the second set, dominating Alma and cruising to a 25-12 win to bring the match to 2-0 in favor of Adrian.
• The Scots kept the third set close, tying the score 10 times, but failed to ever capture the lead allowing the Bulldogs to take the third set 26-24 and seal the victory for the Bulldogs.
• Margo Joubran lead the offense with 16 kills.
• Olivia Welch contributed eight kills and a team-high 16 digs for the match. Welch also had two service aces, putting her 13 aces away from tying the 10th-best single-season in school history.
• Marisa Dion anchored the offense by providing 36 assists in the match. She also had one kill and four digs.
• Cassadine Reed, Jenai White and Sydney Martines came up big for the Bulldogs on the front line with five, four and three block assists respectively. Reed and White also each recorded one solo block in the match.
• Haley Mellon helped Welch on defense with 13 digs.
• Madison Smith led offensively with nine kills. Sasha Laykova tallied seven kills. Katie Bush and Kendall Sells had five.
• Dakota Pelach and Maressa Miller each paced the Alma offense with 17 assists each.
• Laykova also led defensively with a match-high 17 digs.
• Adrian travels to Grand Rapids, Michigan to face American Volleyball Coaches Association's No. 7 ranked Hope in MIAA action tomorrow (September 24) at 4:00 p.m.