KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team overcame an early deficit to earn a 3-1 win over Kalamazoo in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) opener. Liz Susitko (freshman, Novi, Mich.) set the pace for the Bulldogs in the win with a match-high 41 assists. She also tallied the third-most kills on the team with seven.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Kalamazoo 1 (20-25, 25-23, 25-17, 25-15)
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan (Anderson Athletic Center)
Records: Adrian 1-4 (1-0 MIAA), Kalamazoo 0-5 (0-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Kalamazoo led throughout the first set and won the first 25-20 to take the early 1-0 lead. The Hornets also led for most of the second set, but Adrian was able to rally and pull off a close 25-23 set win to tie the score at 1-1.
The Bulldogs took over from there winning set three, 25-17, and set four, 25-15, to earn the victory and a 1-0 start in conference play.
Adrian struggled early on with an attack percentage of .000 in the frist set. The Bulldogs attack improved in the second, .188, when Adrian had its best hitting percentage of the night. The Bulldogs held the Hornets to attacks of .053 and .023 in the final two sets of the match.
• Alex Tobler (freshman, Buchanan, Mich.) led Adrian tying a match-high 11 kills. She also recorded four digs to help on the defensive end.
• Sierra Bennett (sophomore, Lambertville, Mich.) contributed eight kills, one assist, six digs, and one block assist.
• Susitko added a service ace and 12 digs to her score line.
• Haley Mellon (senior, Adrian, Mich.) had a career-high 35 assists in the winning effort.
• Olivia Welch (junior, Vicksburg) also helped on defense with 21 digs.
• Both Maria Katrantzi and Vanessa Vigier led the Hornets with 11 kills.
• Shelby Suseland had nine kills, six digs, and one block assist.
• Kaiya Herman-Hilker set the tone for Kalamazoo with 34 assists. She also cashed in four kills.
• Vigier had a team-high 17 digs to lead the Hornet defense.
The Bulldogs return home to host No. 1 ranked Calvin on Friday, September 8 at 6:30 p.m., ET.