ALBION, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team was defeated by Albion in four sets on Tuesday night. Olivia Welch recorded her second double-double of the season with 10 kills and a team-high 16 digs.
Final Score: Albion 3, Adrian 1 (25-17, 25-15, 20-25, 25-14)
Location: Albion, Michigan (Kresge Gymnasium)
Records: Albion (13-10, 7-4 MIAA), Adrian (5-18, 4-8 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albion jumped out to a 10-5 lead in set one before building an 11-point lead (21-10) and closing out the first with a 1-0 lead.
Similar to the first set, the Britons built a double-digit lead to close out the second set and take a commanding 2-0 lead.
The Bulldogs scored the first five points of set three. Those points would prove to be the difference as Adrian won 25-20 to cut the Albion lead to 2-1 in the set score.
The Britons gradually built a nine-point lead in the fourth (20-11) before taking the set and match with a 25-14 decision.
Albion edged Adrian in hitting percentage for sets one, two, and four including two sets where the Britons hit .324 and .379.
• Welch led the team both offensively and defensively. She totaled 10 kills (.179 K%), two assists, one service ace, and had 16 digs.
• Korbyn Koerner led the Bulldogs with a match-high 15 kills (.344 K%).
• Liz Susitko contributed 25 assists, two kills (.200 K%), 15 digs and one service ace.
• Haley Mellon tallied 15 digs and three assists in the losing effort.
• Kelsey Gustafson and Taylor Rosenthal led the Britons with 12 kills each.
• Kate Winter also had double-digit kills with 11.
• Grace VanDorn paced the Albion offense with 40 assists. She also had 11 digs to help the team defensively.
• Monica Shuk was the Britons defensive leader, digging 20 balls off the back line. She also had a match-high four service aces.
• Angela Adams also contributed with 15 digs.
Adrian will look to bounce back when the team travels to Angola, Indiana on Friday, October 20 to take on MIAA foe Trine University at 6:30 p.m., ET.