ANGOLA, Ind. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team had a 2-0 lead before Trine rallied back to win three straight sets and beat the Bulldogs in five sets. Jessica Bubacz paced the Adrian attack with a team-high 16 assists in the match.
Final Score: Trine 3, Adrian 2 (20-25, 17-25, 25-17, 25-21, 15-6)
Location: Angola, Indiana (Hershey Hall)
Records: Trine (12-10, 7-5 MIAA), Adrian (5-19, 4-9 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian built a double-digit lead in the opening set before gaining the win 25-20. Set two resembled the opener with the Bulldogs building a 23-13 before earning a commanding 2-0 lead in sets.
The Thunder would rally in the third set to build a large lead of their own, 22-11, to earn the victory and cut the Adrian lead to 2-1.
The Bulldogs scored five straight points to build an 8-4 lead in the fourth set, however, Trine would knot things up at 11 before regaining the lead at 14-11 lead. Adrian would rally back to tie the score at 15 all, but the Thunder outscored the Bulldogs 7-4 at the end of the fourth set to earn the 25-21 decision and force a fifth and final game.
Trine would jump out to a quick 3-0 lead in the final set and never look back on its way to a 15-6 set five advantage to take the match.
• Olivia Welch and Jenai White led Adrian with eight kills each in the match. Welch was also the team's defensive leader with 19 digs; White tallied two block assists to contribute defensively as well.
• Bubacz added six digs onto her team-leading 16 digs.
• Liz Susitko also helped set the tone offensively with 14 assists. She also tallied 10 digs.
• Merina Poupard recorded six block assists to lead the Bulldogs in that category. She also contributed six kills and three digs.
• Halley Mellon tallied 14 digs in the match.
• Madison Munger led the Thunder with 14 kills while also contributing 14 digs.
• Raven Hood was the team's leader in assists with 24 and digs with 17.
• Jacqueline Baughman helped on both sides of the ball with 14 assists and 10 digs.
• Lindsey DeCamp also helped lead the defense with 17 digs
STILL A CHANCE
The Bulldogs fall to 4-9 in conference play with the loss to the Thunder. With three matches remaining in the regular season, Adrian must win out and hope Albion or St. Mary loses all remaining matches to have a shot at qualifying for the MIAA tournament.
The Bulldogs will host Olivet tomorrow at 12:00 p.m., ET.