ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team rallied back from a 2-0 deficit to beat Olivet in the fifth set. Madison Federmeyer had the hot hand for the Bulldogs as she scored a career-high 11 kills in the win.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Olivet 2 (23-25, 18-25, 25-12, 25-21, 15-9)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Adrian (6-19, 5-9 MIAA), Olivet (6-20, 2-11 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The score remained close through the first half of set one. Tied at eight, the Bulldogs scored seven straight points to take a 15-8 lead over Olivet. The Comets would fire back and eventually tie the score at 18 before taking the lead 19-18. Olivet scored the final two points of the opener to take the set 25-23 and a 1-0 lead in the set score.
Adrian led early in the second (2-1) before the Comets went on a small run and took the lead 4-2 to lead for the remainder of the set to take a 2-0 set score lead.
The Bulldogs came out firing in the third, eventually building a 22-11 lead before taking the set by a score of 25-12 and cutting the deficit to 2-1.
The score in the fourth was tied multiple times as each team traded leads throughout. With the score tied at 18, Adrian went on a three-point run to regain the lead. The Bulldogs would score four of the next six points to close out the set and force a decisive fifth set.
The final set was all Adrian as the Bulldogs built a lead early and never looked back, earning a 15-9 set decision and taking the match from the Comets, 3-2.
Adrian finished the match with a team block assist total of 30--a program record in a single match.
• Federmeyer finished the match with a .391 hitting percentage and a team-leading 11 kills.
• Olivia Welch contributed nine kills and led the defense with 26 digs.
• Jessica Bubacz paced the offense for most of the match, tallying 26 assists.
• Alex Tobler contributed eight kills and 12 digs in the win for the Bulldogs.
• Brittney Prince and Morgan Champion led the Comets in kills with 14 each.
• Madelyn Notenbaum set the tone offensively with 39 assists. She also helped out on the defensive side with 13 digs.
• Gabrielle Mundt had a match-high 25 digs.
• Courtney Cronkright had 15 digs and 12 kills.
• Morgan Schneider registered 13 digs.
Adrian will host St. Mary's next Friday, October 27 at 7:00 p.m., ET. That match is the final home match for the Bulldogs of the season and is Senior Night at the Merillat Sports and Fitness Center.